Thursday, August 6, 2009

John Hughes




What can be said about the man that has not been said already?

I mean yes in his later years he has written some works that are not so memorable (Drillbit Taylor anyone?), but his body of work is filled with some of the most enduring and loved comedies out there today. With that said, I think what got me the most was how well he wrote teenage angst. He got it. He understood exactly what teenagers were going through at that pivotal moment in their lives, and the fact he got it is what impressed me the most about his body of work.

If there is one film of his that stands out the most to me, it is "The Breakfast Club"
I did not see this film when it was first released. I was still a child at the time and my parents felt I would not understand the film. It was not until I was a junior in High School when I finally got to see the film. what blew me away was how what I was seeing was exactly what I was going through in school. I never had a film connect with me as much as this one did. What is amazing even more today about the power of this film is how after over 20 years the film is STILL relevant.
And that is what makes John Hughes a talent to be reckoned with. He brought us films that still have audiences today (National Lampoon's Vacation, Weird Science, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Home Alone just to name a few). He will be greatly missed, but his movies will definitely live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment